Fleet 01252884759

Guildford 01483494056

Winchester 01962383136


Mobile Menu
Mobile Menu

If I am the Respondent in divorce, do I need a solicitor?

We are often asked by clients whether they need a solicitor to deal with the divorce process when their spouse has started divorce proceedings. The easy answer is that it is entirely up to you, however, to be on the safe side, we would answer yes!

If you instruct Watson Thomas to deal with the divorce process for you as the Respondent we will deal with all paperwork and liaise fully with both the Court and your spouse or their solicitor on your behalf. We will also advise you fully as to how any necessary documents should be completed.

As the Respondent, you will be required to acknowledge the Divorce Petition. Incorrect completion of this document due to lack of legal understanding could leave you in the position whereby the divorce becomes unintentionally defended or you do not have the opportunity to raise objections to paying the other party’s costs.

When Watson Thomas complete the Acknowledgment form on your behalf, along with all other paperwork, you can be assured that you have been fully advised as to the implications of all answers you to provide to the Court and any obligations you have to the other party’s costs.

We understand that it is important for clients to receive a cost effective service and at Watson Thomas we therefore offer a fixed fee for dealing with the entire Respondent divorce process of £500 + vat. This includes all steps within an un-defended divorce process and the receipt of full advice from a qualified, professional member of our team.

Watson Thomas Solicitors have offices in Fleet, Hampshire and Guildford, Surrey

For further information, please visit our website at www.watson-thomas.co.uk or call us at our Fleet Office on 01252 622422 or our Guildford Office on 01483 320114 Request a free, no obligation callback from a member of our team by completing our simple enquiry form.